Sunday, August 30, 2009

So much going on in Nome.....Even in the Rain!

This past week has been so BUSY! I got to travel for work to 3 villages for career fairs. I love travelling to the villages. My first was my favorite one.. Unalakleet, this is Sam's village that he grew up in. When I got there we had some time to spare so Sam's parents took me up the river to try to catch a Silver Salmon. Luck is...Sam's mom hooked one and insisted that I reel it in. I think her bicep was tired from all she has caught this year, or maybe she knew that I didn't remember what it felt like or she knew it was going to be the only one that we would catch in that short hour...regardless I got to spend the next 5-10 , minutes reeling it in. It was huge!!! Of course I forgot my camera like my fishing license so you just have to believe me ! :)

(REINDEER ON THE WAY TO TELLER)

On Thursday we then went to Savoonga, my 2nd favorite place to go in our region. Savoonga is where I went all winter so I have many friends there that I love dearly. It is on our island. That day was just super long. We were there 9 hours for 30 mins of work. One of the health aides took me to her house to meet her family, which was so awesome! I also got to run while I was out there. Then lastly on Friday we went to Teller. That day we were finally able to drive. The drive was great! It was beautiful out! (Reindeer behind me on the Teller Road)
We saw a ton of reindeer, snow on the mountain tops, 2 arctic fox, muskox and lot of beautiful miles and miles of land. The career fair in Teller was a huge success. We had a great lunch spread (no school lunch!!!) and the kids rocked with questions and great fun! I also got to educate some younger classes with diabetes and healthy foods make our bodies healthy education. (EDUCATING THE YOUNG KIDS AT TELLER CAREER FAIR)
I got out again on Friday to pick some berries. It was cold and wet tough to find berries, but 3 hours later I got 3 quart size bags worth. On Saturday it was even worse, but I still got 1 quart. On Sunday after a real mass at church (we had a priest this weekend) I went on the local garden tour in the RAIN! :) We road a bus around Nome for 5 hours to see the amazing gardens of Nome. Some people have some absolutely destressing, relaxing, gorgeous, fruitful gardens!!!
Turnip Flower Bed Yellow Squash
We plant flowers in Everything Rhubarb My teachers flower garden
People in Nome are some of the most talented people ever! Despite the rain all weekend...the weekend was quite pleasant and super fast. On Thursday I get to travel to Unalakleet again to see Sam and hang out with his parents. In a sense it is Sam and I's 2 years since we have began! :) Last week when I got back from the Kawerak camp, I got back to my office to 12 roses on my desk....he sent me flowers for "2 years since our first kiss" :) Sweetie huh???

No comments:

Post a Comment