Monday, August 24, 2009

Villages and Berries..and lots of them


Since I have been back, my time has been very busy with travels and berries. The day that I got home, I was home about an hour before I hit the tundra to find Salmon berries. This year I have put up the right amount, I hope...just 2 gallons, but I'm cool with that. This past weekend I started to find the blues. I picked with my good friend Erika and I put up 14 quart size bags...that equates to almost 4 gallons!!!! That is the most I have picked ever before in one weekend or day! YUM, YUM, YUM!!!!!



About a week ago, I traveled to Elim for their Wellness Fair. It was such a work highlight for me. It was raining the night before when we got there, but we went fishing. One of the health aides took us up river and everyone (4 other people) caught all of the fish and I caught NONE!! They were still very generous and shared some with me. I have to say, b/w Sam's reds he got and now the silvers I brought home...I'm set! Elim is such a beautiful village too! There are trees and it is small. This week I'm headed to 3 villages for career fairs (for my job). I get to go to Unalakleet (Sam's village), Savoonga (the village I went to all winter) and Teller (I'm driving there). I will have to fly to Unalakleet and Savoonga, but in the summers we can drive to Teller. Over Labor Day Sam and I are meeting in Unalakleet to hang out with his parents. Hopefully we will pick alot currants for jelly, catch alot of fish, and just have FUN!
After Elim, I had my softball championship game. We couldn't pull it together so we walked away with 2nd for the season. We were a brand new team, named the Mother Truckers, so actually we did quite well going into the tournament as FIRST, and ending 2nd. On Sunday-Thursday of last week, I was also gone from work hanging out at Pilgrim Hot Springs as the cook for a camp. I was the sole cook for about 50-60 people. Talk about exhausting work, but so FUN! Plus it is absolutely beautiful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment