Sunday, February 28, 2010

A special weekend

I asked for a power tool and I got it. Sam and I had such an incredible Saturday and a great "date night" on Friday you could say. Some friends of ours from work and Nome took Andrea for a few hours on Friday night to go swimming. It was so nice. He went to run the trails with Spalding and I went to yoga. After that we got to enjoy our favorite restaurant's yummy sushi, the local brewery's Stout from the growler and some Olympics. It is so great to have Andrea around but it sure is fun to a have no kid "date-time" once in a while. Despite these "free moments" I try to stop myself from catching myself thinking of the sad day that Andrea leaves us and has to go back to Nome. It is coming way too quickly.

To back up a bit, I have to share with you about our past week. It was a great one, I have to say. Last Sunday I found out that my friend from Nome, sister was coming to Kodiak. Did that sentence make sense?? I can't seem to get it out right... :) Anyways, Erika's sister came to Kodiak. She met with us for supper on Wed. night and ended up staying the rest of the week with us. It was the best!!! We finally got to play Cranium with 4 people, and of course you can guess who Sam picked....not Andrea or I...so he won finally! As our first house guest was leaving I got a scary phone call that turned into the best news yet. My favorite 91 year old "old family friend" is having a surprise trip planned for him to come visit Sam and I in Kodiak this July. His daughter is the friend of my mom's and so they are trying to get her to come too! Possibly 3 exciting house guests. The most exciting is that Tony is the person who gave me the bed that I get to sleep in every night. It is so beautiful and as comfortable as I remember when I was a kid, even though it has different mattresses.

So back to our weekend investments. Sam and I had the best Saturday. We woke up early because I think we are getting old and we can't sleep in anymore. He is so motivated to workout. It is funny...I claim to be the runner but he is the one who says, "let's go running or I'm going running". I then am the one who just has motion...motion of getting dressed, getting ready and just moving out the door and into the car. I even can admit that all I think is, "if I only get there and start walking, then I might run to keep up with him and then I will be HAPPY!" :) After running we went to a flea market, ie: a garage sale, and then to the quilt shop. SO FUN! I'm in love with Kodiak. They have 2 quilt shops and two yarn shops, but who needs the last one...I haven't picked up that busy hobby. We ended up getting many fun projects. I will make and then post my finished projects as they come about. After that we decided that we had some handyman tasks around the house so we went to true value. I hate this store b/c the workers are not friendly or helpful, but I sure love the items in that store. It is probably one of the best in Kodiak. We ended up bettering our recycling resources for home and getting some fun power tools so we could start doing some projects like fixing the dog box that I broke in Nome. My dog's dog house was completely frozen to the ground and when the movers were there, I decided to get it unstuck from the ground. I borrowed my neighbors tow strap and jerked it with my 4-wheeler. When I went to do that, the whole right side BLEW off. :) hehe The house is finally fixed though as of this weekend with our new electric screw driver.

After our weekend in Nome this coming weekend (for my friend, Jennie's, wedding) Sam and I are going to start working on a new project with our new tools. We our going to make a picture frame out of beach drift wood.

This weekend was also special because we hung a horse saddle collar mirror that was my "adopted" grandpa John's creation. My house consists of so many special "inherited" gifts from special people in my life. What a great weekend except today....Sam and I are still trying to find a church in Kodiak. It was so hard today at a new one we tried. I just cried for the entire first half. I can't believe how a strictly raised Catholic can go from a burning desire Catholic to being lost religiously. Does that make sense? I feel so sad and so lost. We have it narrowed down to 2 churches that are baptist..can you believe it. These baptist churches are not like the ones you see on TV where they clap and yell. They are more like what I know of Alaskan Covenant. Sam is Covenant and I'm Catholic. Would life be this way if Sam was Catholic or I was with someone who was Catholic? Or if those horrible things in the Catholic church in Nome would have never happened to me. I hate to blame them but just sometimes, I feel like I want to!! Prayer, prayers, prayers are what are needed to help us find our place that feed us and help us continue to grow spiritually.

1 comment:

  1. My coworker lived in Kodiak for several years and she recommended Kodiak Bible Chapel. Hope you are able to find a right church you can call "home".

    ReplyDelete