Monday, February 1, 2010

Yup I'm a Stecklein/Moeder

The budget is going crazy. My house hold goods still have not made it to Kodiak. Within 3-5 days we quickly learned that people were not joking when they told us about the weather on Kodiak. "It's an island Shanna, the fog rolls in and out without warning". The fog is here all of the time. We drove 6 miles on Saturday and man it was so beautiful, but 6 miles back, we could barely see the road. Kodiak is a small green town. We recycle here!!! :) Okay, it really is green. We will take some pics soon and post them so you can see. It reminds me much of Washington with the same tall, green all year long trees! There is only snow in the mountains afar. You can see where there was a snow storm that came through a few weeks ago, but mostly the snow is melted and it is just brown/green grass or maybe brown grass and green moss on the grounds. :) So the house hold goods haven't come in yet, so we are camping in our house. Luckily Sam sent two couches, table and chairs, an air mattress and a rocking chair. Camping doesn't seem too tough with these amenities. We are eating on paper plates which may be normal for some, but I can't stand for long term. So wasteful I feel...thank goodness I live 2 blocks from the recycling hut. We also have been spoiling ourselves with coffee shop treats everyday, hence the budget comment. :) Yummy but I can feel it racking up.
This weekend I found myself thinking of my friend Tyrel and his new wife....poor them. I should have given them as a wedding gift a professional painter for their new house. I also found myself thinking "if my mom and dad's side of the family aunts were here, we would have this knocked out in a heart beat...and all the other windows would be cleaned too." :) Sam and I painted the master bedroom this weekend and it took the better half of the weekend. It was this horrible yellow base with rust or brick red sponged over it. It looked hideous!!!! Oh, thank goodness our landlord encouraged us to paint it! IT is now a pretty light sage green with white trim. We kept the closet and back of the door as an "accent" color. It is red or brick red?? It actually looks nice and interesting. Hip you could say. Boy did I miss having my family though. Thank you Moeders and Steckleins/Stoeckleins for the best childhood memories yet when it comes to much especially the painting/move-in parties! :)

We went to a dinner party at Anne Marie and Brian Narog's Saturday night too. I sure did have the best first week in Kodiak! Anne Marie is a great cook and it was so nice to be around a fun, healthy family. Anne Marie is originally from Golovin which is up by Nome. I also briefly knew them both from Nome when I went my first couple of summers. Great people!!! They might take us fishing soon (meaning sometime this year). YAY!!!

Monday was both Andrea and I's first days at school and work. She seemed bothered about this new happening but honestly, she is the most out going kid I know so I have a feeling deep in side she had to have some excitement that was burning to bust out and love this new change. My first day was great! The people at KANA are nice and everyone is busy. :) So many new changes and new excitements. It's also nice to know that my beautiful Sam is upstairs working hard too!! Kind of nice to go to work together. It's also nice to come home after working out and hear our Andrea say, "I'm all done with my homework". Man along time since I heard that!!!
Things are good, real good!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment